AUSTIN – The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD) is now taking public comment on the following proposed changes to the 2021-2022 Statewide Hunting and Migratory Game Bird Proclamations:
- Add crossbow to the definition of lawful archery equipment
- Remove the prohibition on trailing wounded deer with dogs in Angelina, Hardin, Nacogdoches, Orange, Shelby, and Tyler counties; In addition, allow the trailing of wounded deer to no more than two dogs on a leash in Jasper, Newton, Sabine, and San Augustine counties
- Eliminate the experimental pronghorn season in the northern Panhandle and expand the general pronghorn season from 9 to 16 days statewide
- Close Panola County to hunting Eastern turkey season during the spring
- Implement mandatory reporting for spring turkey hunting (April 1 – 30) in the “Western 1 Gobbler” counties in southcentral Texas
- Add two days of hunting opportunity in the Special White-winged Dove Area (SWWDA) within the South Dove Zone
- Establish season dates and daily bag limits for all migratory game bird hunting seasons
- Modify the muzzleloader definition to clarify only the bullet or projectile must be loaded through the muzzle
- Modify opening day for chachalacas to be concurrent with quail season
- Align spring and fall wild turkey hunting seasons with consistent North and South Zone boundaries along Highway 90
- Allow a statewide squirrel hunting season by opening the remaining closed counties to a year-round hunting season
The public is encouraged to provide comment on the proposed regulation changes, and input will be considered before any action is taken by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission at its March 25 public hearing. Opportunities to provide comments for or against these proposals include:
- Zoom Webinar: TPWD Wildlife staff will present proposed hunting regulation changes and answer questions in an online webinar at 7:00pm on Tuesday, March 16. The webinar will also be posted on the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department’s YouTube channel and Facebook page.
- Online: Comments on each of the changes can be provided on the TPWD public comment page until March 24.
- Phone or Email:
- For Migratory Game Bird Proclamation comments, or comments regarding upland game birds or squirrels, please contact Shaun Oldenburger, firstname.lastname@example.org
- For Statewide Hunting Proclamation comments concerning pronghorn, please contact Shawn Gray, email@example.com
- For methods of take, please contact Alan Cain, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Teams Commission Meeting: The TPW Commission will take public comment on the proposed changes at their meeting on Thursday, March 25 in Austin. Those wishing to provide public testimony are required to pre-register in order to speak. Public testimony is normally limited to three minutes per person.